Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Life theme songs

I find it so amazing how music is such an important part of my life. I usually go through so many theme songs with different events or stages in my life. Listening to songs from certain stages of my life puts me back emotionally to where I was when I used to listen them. I heard the other day the song my husband and I danced to on our wedding day and I can feel what I felt that marvelous day...I remember how while there were 250 other people in the room, I remember looking into my husband's eyes and seeing so much love and it felt like it was only the two of us in the room. It was a moment we were both waiting for a long time. I think of my cousin, Katie, every time I hear the song "I Believe" by Blessed Union of Souls because during her entire trip to visit me back in 2001 we were obsessed with that song and I can remember how I felt when David was driving me home after an intense hour long good bye with her and crying in the car listening to the song. It's bittersweet because I have amazing memories with that song but also I can feel what I felt that day saying good bye...not knowing when I'd see her again (which ended up being for my wedding 5 years later). Those are two of many examples of songs that bring me back to certain places in my life. I had a great uncle that developed Alzheimer's when I was about 7. It was sad because he was such a fun loving kind of guy...always the life of the party. Anyways, I remember he was at my parent's house one Christmas maybe 8 years ago and by this time he was barely functioning. He barely knew how to speak. Well my grandmother asked me to play an old Cuban song on the piano, La Comparsa. My grandmother told me that back when they all lived in Cuba all her brothers and sisters and cousins would get together and listen to one of their cousins play the piano (they would have so much fun singing along) and La Comparsa was one of their favorites when she played it (very difficult piano piece). So that Christmas I played it and my great uncle became so emotional when I played it. He had no memory, couldn't speak but the music sparked something in him which left the whole family in tears. It goes to show how music is not just a memory but it touches you to the soul. It sparks feelings so deep and for me can express my deepest emotions. So I was just contemplating that as I was listening to my song for "right now" in my life. It's called Sovereign by Chris Tomlin. It's exactly what I need to hear and pray a lot these days. Here's the link if you want to listen:

1 comment: